Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 24. Merry Christmas. Stiegl Goldbräu!

When you hear the date 1492, what do you think? Well if you said Stiegl Bier began being brewed on that day, you're totally correct. Anything else that happened that year is irrelevant. Stiegl Goldbräu Premium Lager is probably my favorite, and the best tasting beer ever in my opinion, and I'm not just saying this because both this beer and my relatives come from Salzburg, Austria; I mean it. 
This was the first beer I ever drank, and it will be the last when the day comes. I enjoy this beer as often as possible, but a bottle of this isn't as cheap in the states as it is in Austria. But I'm fine with splurging on this beer! Brewed in Salzburg, Austria since 1492 in the center of the old city with a restaurant at the base of the fortress, I'm sure even Mozart has tasted this beer. I would say that Stiegl Goldbräu is probably the most popular beer in Austria, and it needs to become more popular everywhere else so that i can buy it in bulk as if I were in Austria :) This is the beer who's company gave me the idea for the MANdvent Calendar. I couldn't get one sent out to Arizona, so I made my own version. I am not sure what is in their advent calendar, but now you know what was in mine. Check out pretty much everything about them at their website, http://www.stiegl.at/ or even look them up on facebook. 
The beer is fairly clear while it is still a perfect golden color. You might think it is a "light" beer, but this beer is every bit as full as any other beer. It might only have a 4.9% abv, but these guys know what they're doing and they have been brewing the beer for longer than most breweries have been around. It doesn't have much of a smell to it, but it has a nice crisp refreshing taste to it. It pours with a nice foamy head that keeps for quite a while. The design on the bottle and can is probably the most simple of any kind of beer. Red and white, the colors of austria. 
Well this beer is the best way to finish off an advent calendar, and a good way to start off and finish a Christmas. I hope everybody gets a chance to try some of these beers, I know I've already pushed a few people into drinking ones that I've discovered this month. If you ever have a beer you'd like me to try, just send me a message or comment, and I'd be happy to. I have a couple more beers stocked up that I'll be reviewing coming up, so keep checking back! Happy Drinking everybody and Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

  1. fun fact: stiegl bräu was located right next to flip until the early 20th century and was first called „Prewhaus bey dem Stieglein auf der Gstätten"

    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7943/stieglbraeu.png

    http://www.hebenstreit-picker.at/de/pressezentrum/detail.asp?id=234&tit=Bierwanderung_durch_Salzburg

    cheers, jan :)

    ReplyDelete