Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 1. Żywiec

Well, for having the reputation of drinking a whole lot, I can sure say that I understand why the Polish people would drink so much. I just opened a bottle of Żywiec beer from Poland. The first taste was amazing. It reminds me of a Czech beer, but has something more to it. This beer tastes amazing. The bottle is .5L bottle, which is what I always expect from a European brew. I admit, I tried to find smaller 12oz bottles when starting this so that they would fit in my 12oz Miller Lite case, but I always enjoy extra beer, and this sure isn't one that I'm ashamed of purchasing. At 5.6% abv, I think after drinking this, I can assure myself I will be feeling good. I find the label comical, as it has 2 people dancing on it, and says that it is prized and awarded medals. Famous worldwide, yet this is the first I've heard of it, and the first I've seen. The Żywiec Brewery was founded in 1852, and part of 5 breweries, Żywiec is actually owned in majority by the Dutch Heinekin group. I believe Żywiec is a town in Poland as well, which is common for most beers in my knowledge, at least in europe, to be named after the town they are brewed in.  Żywiec produces 2 kinds of beer, of which I'm sure I only bought the pale lager type, but which they also have a "Light" version. True to America haha. This history is interesting, I just copied and pasted from Wiki:

Founded in 1852, started brewing in 1856. [1] It remained in the hands of the Habsburgs until nationalisation in the post-WWII communist Poland. At the beginning of 1990s a court case was started by the descendants of the original owners, who sued the Polish government demanding $77 million[2] compensation for the nationalisation and the use of the Habsburg family name and coat of arms for marketing purposes. The case was settled out of court on undisclosed terms in December 2005.[3][4]


It's interesting how the Hapsburgs were so widespread in Europe, I would say that it seems that this empire is what brought good beer to the world. Thanks to Austria ;). If I ever sound partial to Austrians or Austria during this blogging, just know that I'm part Austrian, so I have to be.


But anyways, this beer is labeled as Poland's number 1 premium beer. The back logo is even temperature indicative like the Coor's company's logo, saying that their logo shows on the back when the beer is at the perfect temperature. WAY COOL! I think I'm going to have to buy this beer again, because my label isn't showing! But in all truth, it does taste great. A very full beer, and I would think great with a hearty dish. The taste stays in your mouth, and it's nothing to complain about. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this beer a 9. Here is the USA website  http://www.zywiecusa.com/ If you can buy it, try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment